Sunday, February 22, 2009

My new favorite movie (besides Titanic, of course!)

This weekend was Mother-Daughter weekend for my sorority.  On Wednesday my mom and I dined along with sorority friends and their moms.  And then, we made our way over to Cine to watch The Reader.  

Ok, it was amazing!!!  Definitely one of my favorite movies of all time.  It was so different from any movie I have seen in a long time, probably different from any movie I have ever seen.  It was gut-wrenching.  I sat through the entire movie with my mouth in a huge "O," my right hand clutching my chest.  I'll give you a little plot synopsis:  In post WWII Germany, a fifteen year-old boy has an affair with a much older woman, Hanna, (played by Kate Winslet).  It is his first time ever being with a woman, and he falls head over heels in love with her.  She disappears, and he goes on to law school.  As part of a special seminar, he gets to sit in on the trial of Nazi S.S. guards... and Hanna is one of them!

Don't go to this movie if you want to see something uplifting and happy.  Go if you want to see life, in all its grittiness.  And just a heads up, there is A LOT of nudity in this movie.  I'm talking full-frontal of both sexes, along with nipples galore.  Seriously, a lot of nipples.  But I promise you, you will not be disappointed with this movie.  Also, make sure you check out Cine, the local downtown Athens movie theater.  Right now it's playing all the Oscar movies, and it is the coolest movie theater ever!  Cine has a full bar, and you can bring in any alcoholic drink into the theater with you.  The lady next to me had some tropical fruity drink with an orange peel garnish.  In a movie theater!

No comments:

Post a Comment