Friday, March 6, 2009

One fish, two fish

In the past, I was not a huge fan of animals.  Cats, bunnies, reptiles.  You name it, I could spew a long list of why the animal was gross and dirty and definitely harmful.  And then Nature Boy came into my life, and suddenly the animal kingdom seemed much less foreboding.

Three years ago, if you asked me what my biggest fear was, I would have said snakes.  Flash forward to the present.  I actually kind of like snakes, or at least I am willing to hold them.  The first time Nature Boy made me hold one of his snakes, I cried.  Now, I ask to hold them.  I even named one of his snakes Grace Kelley; my theory was that if I named her after the beautiful princess of Monaco, surely this snake would have to live up to her name.  And she has.  And I love her.  

Nature Boy has two large fish tanks full of colorful little suckers and pretty coral.  Little by little, I became fascinated by the fishies, and I decided that I would get one.  (Fish are also the only type of pet that was allowed in the freshman dorms last year.)  I decided on a Beta Fish because they are just so colorful and pretty.  Audrey Hepburn my fish has been in my life for about a year and a half now, and I can honestly say that I love her!  Weird, maybe, but I don't care.  She has helped me through some rough times, and I swear to you that she can recognize my voice!  When I talk to her, she goes crazy in her little bowl adorned with flowers, and I have even taught her how to do tricks.  When she passes away (which I hope will never occur), I will be hysterical.

Today, my animal family has grown.  My friends Kerry and Melanie decided that fish parenting just wasn't for them, so I gladly took on the role.  And now, I am the mommy of two lovely fish.  Leia is her name.  Hopefully she will bring me just as much happiness as Audrey has!

Reader, in case you were wondering, yes I did just blog about my obsession with my Beta Fish.  And I am proud of it!

1 comment:

  1. Jamie, i love your blog! i seriously can't wait to live with you next year. Thank you for taking over "Ringo" for us, i hope he brings you happiness too!

    ReplyDelete